Monday, September 7, 2009

Back to school we go...

First day of school tomorrow - and I'm not sure I should even bother going to bed tonight. The night before the first day has always been sleepless for me. I end up laying there, wide-eyed, tossing, turning, making lists in my head, giddy and nervous.

I also tear up a bit on this night every year - about the end of summer, the end of free time, over the beginning of what is always a stressful season, and the realization that I might not have spent enough quality time with my son. It's always my regret on this night. He's growing and changing so quickly. Jeans and sneakers up a size. Mind and personality... amazing, curious, beautiful, quirky. There's heartache in watching him.

Before this treasure went to bed tonight, with his own mixed thoughts of what tomorrow will bring, he came to kiss me goodnight. "Thanks for a great summer Mom. I had the best time with you. Thanks for everything."

This kid. He ties my heart up in knots.

4 comments:

Sarah Alaoui said...

He will love your blog posts when he grows up :)

I also stay awake the night before first days! I hate it :(

campbele said...

And life as we know it comes to an end.

Have an awesome school year!

danielle said...

hope the new year is off to a great start for all of you.

campbele said...

You've just received the Scholastic Scribbler award and can pick it up on my site.