Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Lessons at the beach

I didn’t know
the little bubbles and holes in the sand that
appeared as the waves pulled back
were tiny clams retreating deeper and
taking breaths.
I didn’t know that
the purple-edged seashells found
sprinkled across the sand
were once used as currency.
“Wampum,” he said.
And when the seagulls were all standing on the beach,
facing the same direction,
alert, as if receiving a message,
he told me
they were facing the wind so it wouldn’t
mess up their feathers,
and they were just
waiting for food to fall to the ground.

2 comments:

Sarah Alaoui said...

aww what beautiful painting of a beach scene : )

RosalindawithDT said...

This is great! When are you publishing a book of poetry? I put a poem I wrote on my blog about tarantulas. Check it out.
Rosalinda Vargas