Friday, August 1, 2008

Let's Stay Together

My siblings and their children came over to spend the day yesterday. While the kids swam in the pool for hours, my husband and brother tore up the old shed out back, and my sisters and I stayed inside and talked. It was both a very simple yet fulfilling day. At one point, all fifteen of us were crowded into my small dining room for a simple meal of pizza and salad.

Our parents are away on a European trip, and as they get older, they often repeat to us kids that it would mean the world to them that we remain close, even after they leave us. It’s comforting to know that the safest and warmest place is with your family, and that often, your siblings are your best friends.

Mis hermanas y sus hijos vinieron a casa ayer a pasar el día. Mientras los chicos nadaron en la piscina, mi marido y mi hermano destrozaron el cobertizo viejo, y mis hermanas y yo nos quedamos adentro a charlar. Fué un día sencillo y agradable a la véz. Hubo un momento en el cual todos nos metimos en el comedor a cenar una comida sencilla de pizza y ensalada.

Nuestros padres estan de viaje en Europa, y mientras van envejeciendo, nos repiten frecuentemente que quisieran que estemos siempre juntos, aún cuando yá no esten con nosotros. Me consuela saber que el lugar más seguro y cariñoso es con la familia, y que muchas veces, los hermanos son los mejores amigos.

3 comments:

Mel Avila Alarilla said...

It's nice to have a closely knit family to lean to especially in times of trials. Thanks for the post. God bless.

Brenda said...

I heartily agree that's it is wonderful to have your siblings as your best friends. I'll have to settle for two out of three, (it's my sisters I'm close to), but even that I count as a blessing!

Liza said...

i love small gatherings like this. makes me miss my siblings who are now in the US. ;)